- 1 Documentation
- 2 Tool Labs
- 2.1 Description
- 2.2 Purpose
- 2.3 Anticipated traffic level
- 2.4 Anticipated time span
- 2.5 Project status
- 2.6 Contact address
- 2.7 Willing to take contributors or not
- 2.8 Subject area narrow or broad
- 3 Server admin log
- 4 Instances for this project
The Tools project is one of two projects in the Tool Labs environment (the other being Toolsbeta).
Runs end-user tools to support the projects
Anticipated traffic level
more than 1000 hits per day
Anticipated time span
Please create a Task on phabricator for support.
Tool Labs is run by:
- User:Coren (WMF) -- firstname.lastname@example.org
- User:Yuvipanda (WMF)
- User:Tim Landscheidt (volunteer)
- User:Merlijn van Deen (volunteer)
With extra support from various people from the WMF Operations team.]]
Willing to take contributors or not
Subject area narrow or broad
Tool Labs is a reliable, scalable hosting environment for community developers working on tools and bots that help users maintain and use wikis. The cloud-based infrastructure was developed by the Wikimedia Foundation and is supported by a dedicated group of Wikimedia Foundation staff and volunteers. Tool Labs is a part of the Labs project, which is designed to make it easier for developers and system administrators to try out improvements to Wikimedia infrastructure, including MediaWiki, and to do analytics and bot work.
Tip: Confused about the terms labs, tool labs etc? Read Wikimedia Labs vs Tool Labs.
The Tool Labs environment provides:
- Support for Web services, continuous bots, and scheduled tasks.
- Access to replicated production databases.
- Easily shared management of tool accounts, where tools and bots are stored.
- A grid engine for dispatching jobs.
- Support for mosh, SSH, SFTP without complicated proxy setup.
- A shared pywikibot installation.
- Version control via Gerrit and Git.
- Support for Redis.
In general, every tool maintainer should work primarily on the Tools project (not Toolsbeta, which is for experiments to the Tool Labs environment itself).
After filling in the form, your request will then show up in the queue above, and will be processed shortly by one of the Tool Labs administrators.
Tools Resources Overview
- Getting started (in-depth)
- Getting started (for toolserver users)
- Phabricator (project Tool-Labs; report a bug/feature request)
- Service group (tool) interface - create service groups (tools) and add users to them
tools-login: Help:SSH Fingerprints/tools-login.wmflabs.org
Server admin log
- 09:48 scfc_de: tools-checker-01: Removed exim paniclog (OOM).
- 22:19 valhallasw`cloud: reset maxujobs 0->128, job_load_adjustments none->np_load_avg=0.50, load_ad... -> 0:7:30
- 22:12 YuviPanda: restarted gridengine master again
- 22:07 valhallasw`cloud: set job_load_adjustments from np_load_avg=0.50 to none and load_adjustment_decay_time to 0:0:0
- 22:05 valhallasw`cloud: set maxujobs back to 0, but doesn't help
- 21:57 valhallasw`cloud: reset to 7:30
- 21:57 valhallasw`cloud: that cleared the measure, bu... (more)